Los Angeles News
Orange County GOP official emails picture of Obama as an ape
TUSTIN, Calif. (KABC) -- A Southern California Republican party official is under fire after sending an offensive email depicting President Barack Obama as an ape.
The OC Weekly obtained the email with the controversial photo, which shows the president's face pasted onto the head of a baby chimp.
The caption beneath the picture read, "Now you know why no birth certificate."
Marilyn Davenport, who is a member of the central committee of the Republican Party of Orange County, sent the email.
She told the OC Weekly it was a joke.
"You're not going to make a big deal about this, are you?" Davenport reportedly asked when the newspaper's political blogger reached her for comment. "Oh, come on!"
The RPOC chairman is calling for an ethics investigation and says Davenport should consider stepping down.
City News Service contributed to this report.
president barack obama, republican party, los angeles news
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Santa Ana crash leaves man critically injured
- Norwalk homicide investigation underway 54 min ago
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack
- Thermal brush fire contained at 350 acres
- Some CA cities seek water independence 34 min ago
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession 18 min ago
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians