Los Angeles News
Synagogue arson suspect faces 19 felony counts
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A man suspected of setting fire to a Hollywood synagogue was already in police custody on an unrelated charge Wednesday.
Dmitriy Sheyko, 21, is accused of setting a fire in a classroom of the Temple Israel of Hollywood synagogue.
Sheyko has been charged with 19 felony counts, including burglary, arson and use of a destructive device. Police did not say what the unrelated charge the suspect was already in custody for.
Sheyko is also accused of burglary and arson at a location in the Beverly Ridge Terrace area. Those incidents included the use of a Molotov cocktail. They took place between Apr. 14-17.
Sheyko was scheduled to be arraigned at the Foltz Criminal Justice Center Wednesday. The Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office is expected to ask the court to hold Sheyko on $3 million bail.
Police say Sheyko was identified as a possible suspect after authorities released surveillance video taken outside Temple Israel shortly before last week's fire and burglary.
The footage shows a suspect climbing over a wall, carrying what appears to be a bottle and a duffle bag.
Police believe the suspect vandalized a classroom and started a small fire. There were no injuries, and damage to the synagogue school was described as minimal, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.
Sheyko is also accused of entering a Fresh and Easy Market on Apr. 14 with intent to commit larceny and felony. On Apr. 16 and 17, Sheyko allegedly entered two residences, a trailer coach and a guest house in the Beverly Ridge Terrace neighborhood.
According to the indictment, he is accused of setting fire to forest land and a structure on Apr. 17 at 4 Beverly Ridge Terrace. He is charged with use of a destructive device and explosives to injure or destroy. He allegedly burglarized the residence at the same location.
A flatbed truck, a first-aid kit, a lunchbox, a beach chair were among the damaged items at the Beverly Ridge Terrace location.
burglary, fire, hollywood, hate crime, los angeles news
- Echo Park apartment fire deemed suspicious 34 min ago
- Woman in newlywed murder agrees to plea deal
- Sriracha distribution on hold for 30 days
- Las Vegas casino shooting video released
- Arleta deadly road rage suspect identified
- Car slams into Ventura house; driver arrested
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Human remains found in forest above Altadena
- abcnews: Arrowhead Stadium victim's family talks
- Australia rejects law allowing gay marriage
- Wal-Mart ban stemmed from alleged threat
- Holiday shopping tips, ideas to save money
- Bale talks 'Hustle,' 'Out of the Furnace'
- OTRC: Lea Michele talks about Cory Monteith (Video)
- Pet of the Week: 6-yr-old terrier mix Tillie
52 min ago