Los Angeles News
Heavy traffic expected in W.LA for Obama visit
CULVER CITY, Calif. (KABC) -- Brace yourself: we could be in for another traffic snarl Thursday.
Air Force One landed at LAX at 2:30 p.m. He will attend a fundraiser at Sony Pictures Studios in Culver City that begins at 4:30 p.m. Obama is scheduled to speak at the fundraiser at about 6 p.m.
After the fundraiser in Culver City, Obama will attend a private fundraiser in Brentwood. Fundraisers in Southern California have generated millions for Obama's campaign.
Many people are excited for the visit, but they're still worried about the potential for gridlock. It's the frustrating downside to a presidential visit.
Obama's visit last August caused major gridlock on the Westside, stretching commutes that would normally take 45 minutes into several hours. In his next visit, the president used a helicopter for portions of his trip, which reduced some of the traffic congestion..
"They're saying that they're going to try and be a little more conscious and careful about it this time, but who knows," said Paul Smith of Culver City.
Local leaders are hoping better coordination with the Secret Service will minimize the traffic problems.
"They are sensitive to our needs, and my hope is the sensitivity will actually mean less gridlock," said Councilman Bill Rosendahl. "But you know, the Westside is gridlocked as it is."
Not everyone is up in arms about the president coming to town.
"I think it's an epic thing for a small community like this," said Mark Miller of Culver City. "I think it's historic.
The president is scheduled to depart from LAX at 9 a.m. Friday.
president barack obama, traffic delay, west los angeles, westside, los angeles news, leslie miller
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed 41 min ago
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC 4 min ago
- Female pedestrian struck, killed in Riverside 33 min ago
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected 54 min ago
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat 41 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Operation Crossover targets liquor thieves
- abcnews: Conjoined twins see sunlight for 1st time
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: Will Arnett files for divorce from Poehler