Los Angeles News
Suspect arrested in LAPD helicopter shooting
VAN NUYS, Calif. (KABC) -- An arrest was made after an LAPD helicopter was hit by gunfire near Saticoy Street and Densmore Avenue on Sunday.
Police arrested 18-year-old Danny Lopez, after responding to reports of shots being fired. Police said they saw Lopez firing a semi-automatic rifle. A police helicopter was struck by the bullets.
"I was looking at the helicopter and heard like five, six rounds," said one witness. "I just saw a helicopter smoking and it took off to the Van Nuys airport."
The helicopter reportedly landed safely at Van Nuys Airport shortly following the shooting. No injuries were reported but the helicopter was leaking fuel.
After setting up a perimeter, authorities tracked down Lopez at a home along Saticoy Street. Family members inside the home pinned him down and took away his weapon. Officers arrested Lopez without incident.
"They were family members that he was interacting with, making an attempt to try and get him to surrender," said Capt. John Egan from Los Angeles police. "It was explained to me that eventually they saw an opportunity and they were able to subdue him, and to get the weapon out of his hands. Officers who were in position close by were able to take him into custody."
Community residents told authorities that there may have been a second gunman in the area. SWAT officers surrounded an apartment building on the same block where Lopez was arrested.
Officers fired tear gas and searched two apartments but did not find anyone. They called off the operation and residents were able to return to their homes after being evacuated for more than eight hours.
Egan said Lopez's family members were not aware of any alcohol or drug abuse, nor were they aware of any previous mental problems. However, they did tell authorities that he was despondent over the loss of a friend who was recently killed.
Lopez will be charged with attempted murder on a police officer.
lapd, shooting, los angeles news
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- Malaysia air force: Jet may have turned back 18 min ago
- Coach pleads no contest to molesting girls
- LAPD crash: Funeral services announced
- Portion of 405 South to close for 2 nights
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- 5-alarm fire burns at San Francisco building 2 min ago
- CVS allegedly lost track of 37K painkillers
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book