Los Angeles News
Van Nuys teen charged for shooting helicopter
VAN NUYS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A teenager accused of shooting a Los Angeles police helicopter was charged Tuesday with two counts of attempted murder on a peace officer.
Danny Anthony Lopez, 18, pleaded not guilty in Van Nuys Superior Court. He was also charged with two counts of assault on a peace officer with a semiautomatic firearm, one count of shooting at an occupied aircraft and one count of carrying a loaded firearm in a street gang with the allegation that he personally discharged a firearm.
He faces up to life in prison if convicted.
Police said on Sunday morning Lopez fired a semiautomatic rifle at a police chopper in Van Nuys, hitting it. The pilots made an emergency landing and were not hurt.
Lopez's mother said her son was distraught over the shooting death of a friend.
lapd, shooting, los angeles news
- First section of new 405 Freeway lane opens
- Fewer travelers expected Memorial Day weekend
- I-5 bridge collapses in Wash.; 3 injured
- Disneyland holding Monstrous 'All-Nighter'
- 405 North crash, fuel spill snarls traffic 44 min ago
- LA gang activity coordinated from Kansas home
- LB regulates loud mufflers w/ electronic sign
- 5.7-magnitude earthquake strikes NorCal city
- Covered California announces 13 health plans
- NASA wants astronauts on asteroid by 2021 18 min ago
- abcnews: NY man rescued after month of alleged torture
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests
- Amanda Bynes arrested in NYC on pot charge 48 min ago
- OTRC: 'Hangover 3,' 'Fast & Furious 6' film reviews
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
24 min ago