Los Angeles News
Van Nuys teen charged for shooting helicopter
VAN NUYS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A teenager accused of shooting a Los Angeles police helicopter was charged Tuesday with two counts of attempted murder on a peace officer.
Danny Anthony Lopez, 18, pleaded not guilty in Van Nuys Superior Court. He was also charged with two counts of assault on a peace officer with a semiautomatic firearm, one count of shooting at an occupied aircraft and one count of carrying a loaded firearm in a street gang with the allegation that he personally discharged a firearm.
He faces up to life in prison if convicted.
Police said on Sunday morning Lopez fired a semiautomatic rifle at a police chopper in Van Nuys, hitting it. The pilots made an emergency landing and were not hurt.
Lopez's mother said her son was distraught over the shooting death of a friend.
lapd, shooting, los angeles news
- LAPD cop car crash: 1 officer dead, 1 injured 14 min ago
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Baldwin Hills natural gas leak: Repairs done
- Beverly Hills High School gunman threat false
- Drunk gambler sues LV casino following loss
- Russia would welcome Crimea, says top lawmaker
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Pistorius told guard 'everything is fine'
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)