Los Angeles News
Van Nuys teen charged for shooting helicopter
VAN NUYS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A teenager accused of shooting a Los Angeles police helicopter was charged Tuesday with two counts of attempted murder on a peace officer.
Danny Anthony Lopez, 18, pleaded not guilty in Van Nuys Superior Court. He was also charged with two counts of assault on a peace officer with a semiautomatic firearm, one count of shooting at an occupied aircraft and one count of carrying a loaded firearm in a street gang with the allegation that he personally discharged a firearm.
He faces up to life in prison if convicted.
Police said on Sunday morning Lopez fired a semiautomatic rifle at a police chopper in Van Nuys, hitting it. The pilots made an emergency landing and were not hurt.
Lopez's mother said her son was distraught over the shooting death of a friend.
lapd, shooting, los angeles news
- NKorea deports captive American war veteran
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, dad shot
- Ex-detective arrested for tipping off gang
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting
- abcnews: Bill Clinton reveals insights from Mandela
- 6 detained in theft of radioactive material
- Smartphone apps for a better night's sleep
- Long Beach motorcycle show offers demo rides
- 'Out of the Furnace' showcases pacing, acting
- OTRC: Grammys 2014 - list of nominees