Los Angeles News
Nightclub owner shot in Rolls-Royce in Baldwin Hills
BALDWIN HILLS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The search is on for the gunman who fatally shot a local nightclub owner who had just returned home from work. The shooting happened early Friday morning on Hillcrest Drive near Don Ricardo Drive in Baldwin Hills.
Authorities responded to a report of a shooting on the 4200 block of Hillcrest Drive at about 3 a.m. and found Alonzo Ester, 67, sitting in a Rolls-Royce with two gunshot wounds. He died as he was being transported to Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center.
Police say Ester crashed his Rolls-Royce into a neighbor's garage after he was shot while attempting to park it at his home on the 4200 block of Hillcrest Drive in Baldwin Hills.
Police say Ester's neighbors reported hearing gunshots around 3 a.m. and seeing a man running away.
Family members say Ester was returning home from a business he owns, the Dynasty Restaurant and Lounge in Inglewood. They say he would often return home late from the business.
"He was a businessman, nightclub owner and family man," said the victim's brother Joseph Wright. "Respected in the community and respected all over. He was a great guy, he was my youngest brother. Somebody just took his life."
Investigators spent hours at the crime scene.
"We don't have a motive at this point. The investigation is continuing. And we did have witnesses that heard the shots, and we have some reports that a African-American male was seen leaving the location, and that's basically what we have at this time. We have a lot of work to do still. We're following up a number of leads and trying to piece it together," said LAPD Captain Vito Palazzolo.
Anyone with information related to the case was asked to contact Los Angeles Police at (877) LAPD-24-7.
murder, baldwin hills, homicide investigation, los angeles news, leo stallworth
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- LAPD officers to wear body cameras downtown 4 min ago
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Big Sur fire burns 769 acres; chance of rain
- Bipartisan budget deal nears final passage
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- Ronnie Biggs, 'Great Train Robber,' dies at 84
- 3-yr-old recovering after 5-organ transplant
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present