Los Angeles News
Mother and son graduate from college on same day
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- It was a heartwarming graduation day for one family. A mother and her son stood side by side and received college diplomas Friday.
Carmen Gomez dropped out of high school to raise a family. But education was important to her and she refused to give up.
After getting her high school diploma she started taking college classes, first at Cerritos College and eventually at the University of Southern California. She took one class a year until finally being able to graduate with the class of 2011.
"It's taken me 22 years to finish," said Carmen Gomez. "This is an awesome day. I encourage everybody to go back to school."
"I thought if my mom can do it, I can do it," said son Allen Gomez. "So I'm very proud of her today."
Carmen and Allen Gomez are the first mother and son pair to graduate together from the School of Policy, Planning and Development.
Carmen Gomez said that she now plans to get her master's degree.
education, school, usc, los angeles news
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles 1 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County 41 min ago
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 44 min ago
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals 51 min ago
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
3 min ago