Los Angeles News
Mother and son graduate from college on same day
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- It was a heartwarming graduation day for one family. A mother and her son stood side by side and received college diplomas Friday.
Carmen Gomez dropped out of high school to raise a family. But education was important to her and she refused to give up.
After getting her high school diploma she started taking college classes, first at Cerritos College and eventually at the University of Southern California. She took one class a year until finally being able to graduate with the class of 2011.
"It's taken me 22 years to finish," said Carmen Gomez. "This is an awesome day. I encourage everybody to go back to school."
"I thought if my mom can do it, I can do it," said son Allen Gomez. "So I'm very proud of her today."
Carmen and Allen Gomez are the first mother and son pair to graduate together from the School of Policy, Planning and Development.
Carmen Gomez said that she now plans to get her master's degree.
education, school, usc, los angeles news
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana 13 min ago
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC 55 min ago
- Pasadena apartment fire caused by heater
- 2 sought in Lancaster home invasion robberies
- VC suspicious death investigation underway
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Man wakes up locked inside dark empty plane
- Cold weather brings flight cancellations
- Ukraine capital facing anti-govt protest
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
20 min ago