Los Angeles News
Manhunt under way for gunman in Baldwin Hills murder
BALDWIN HILLS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A manhunt for a murderer continues after a nightclub owner was shot in front of his Baldwin Hills home.
Authorities said Alonzo Ester was returning home from the nightclub at about 2:30 a.m. Friday when he was shot. Ester, 67, was sitting inside his Rolls-Royce in the driveway when the shooting occurred.
Ester died as he was being transported to Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center.
Police said Ester crashed the car into a neighbor's garage after being shot.
Ester was the owner of Dynasty Restaurant and Lounge in Inglewood.
Authorities said witnesses saw a man running from the scene after the shooting.
A security guard said he followed Ester part of his way home that night after noticing a suspicious vehicle near the restaurant.
Ester's family said the nightclub owner was well-liked in the community and had no enemies.
"Respected all over, he was a great guy. He was my youngest brother. I don't know who would want to have taken a life," said the victim's brother.
Police said the motive for the shooting is unclear, but robbery hasn't been ruled out.
Those who knew Ester built a makeshift memorial outside of Dynasty Restaurant and Lounge on Saturday.
Civil rights leaders said they planned to go to the city council Monday to ask for a reward for the capture of the gunman.
Anyone with information related to the case was asked to contact the Los Angeles Police Department's Southwest Station at (213) 485-2583.
murder, baldwin hills, homicide investigation, los angeles news
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- IE suspect found after escaping from police 1 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home 2 min ago
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
55 min ago