Los Angeles News
Pico Rivera woman shot in head, in critical condition
PICO RIVERA, Calif. (KABC) -- A woman in her 30s was shot in the head while in her Pico Rivera home Thursday morning.
Area residents reported hearing several shots fired at shortly before 1:30 a.m. in the 5300 block of Lindsey Avenue near Catherine Street.
Authorities said responding deputies arrived at the home to find the woman with a gunshot wound to the head. The woman was transported to a local hospital.
In a statement at 4:40 a.m., the sheriff's department reported the woman had died. At about 6 a.m., authorities retracted their initial statement and said the woman was listed in critical condition.
The woman's mother was inside the home at the time of the shooting and even heard the gunshots, but she did not know that her daughter had been shot until authorities arrived.
Though the victim was shot while she was inside the home, deputies said the shooter fired from outside the home.
Deputies did not have a suspect description as of Thursday morning.
shooting, pico rivera, los angeles news, leo stallworth
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnapping 19 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested 6 min ago
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect 43 min ago
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- S.Korean ferry: Vice principal commits suicide 52 min ago
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Pro-Russian insurgents ignore diplomatic deal
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet 6 min ago
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Covered California enrolls nearly 1.4M people
34 min ago