Los Angeles News
LA woman from Joplin helps with tornado relief effort
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The massive storm that devoured Joplin, Mo., left at least 116 people dead and turned entire neighborhoods into ruins.
One local woman is stepping in to help the people suffering after one of the worst tornadoes in U.S. history.
For Carrie Cusack, the images of devastation caused by the deadly tornado that destroyed much of Joplin, her hometown, are beyond belief.
While she feels fortunate her mother survived, Cusack is heartbroken over a friend that's missing and the many friends who lost everything.
Cusack said 100 percent of mud pie sales at her restaurant, Simplethings Sandwich & Pie Shop at 8310 W. 3rd Street in Los Angeles, will go to the Red Cross for the relief effort in Joplin.
"Hopefully everyone in the neighborhood, everyone in L.A., can make it over to 3rd Street," she said. "Pick up a mud pie and all the money will go to help the people in Joplin."
As an executive chef, Cusack says her mud pies are a customer favorite.
Carrie says mud pies range in price from $2.50 and up, depending on the size of the pie.
"This is near and dear to my heart because it's my home," she added. "It's where I go home for Christmas. My family is there and it is where all my memories are."
If you would like to donate to the relief efforts to help the victims of the massive tornadoes, including the ones that struck Joplin, Missouri, click here.
charity, community activity, tornado, los angeles news, leo stallworth
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- SKorea ferry accident: 10 more bodies pulled
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- East Hollywood fire: Garage heavily damaged 33 min ago
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Free admission offered to all national parks
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Documents detail another delayed GM recall
- Mickey Rooney buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour