Los Angeles News
Attempted carjacking ends hair-raising police pursuit
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Police were in a dangerous high-speed pursuit of a grand theft auto suspect in Hollywood Friday.
Police have arrested 22-year-old Jonathan Lee of Murrieta. The pursuit began in the Silver Lake area shortly before 5 p.m. and last for approximately an hour.
Authorities say Lee was driving an SUV at speeds reaching 80 mph in residential areas. He clipped at least one vehicle in traffic and narrowly missed pedestrians.
Police say Lee bailed out of the vehicle in Hollywood while it was still rolling near the intersection of Willoughby and Wilcox avenues. He opened the passenger door of an SUV and attempted to carjack a woman with a child. As Lee got in the vehicle, officers threw him to the ground and arrested him.
The female driver of the SUV jumped out of the car and went into the back seat to retrieve a child.
"I live right down the street," said victim Lisa McAdam. "Completely stunned. I just heard all the cops coming and I looked to see where they were going. And then all of a sudden my door opened and a guy jumped in my car."
The stolen SUV continued rolling and crashed on a sidewalk. Lee has been booked with attempted carjacking.
arrest, pursuit, los angeles news, darsha philips
- Nelson Mandela dies in South Africa at age 95
- Unemployment falls to 7 pct, 203K jobs added 19 min ago
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- Help Garth stuff busses full of toys in Ontario
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- IE domestic-violence murder suspect at large
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow
- 4 local brothers are all members of LAPD
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Man arrested in Paul Walker wreckage theft
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate