Los Angeles News
Funeral held for fallen Hawthorne Officer Andrew Garton
CYPRESS, Calif. (KABC) -- A funeral service was held Friday to honor fallen Hawthorne motorcycle police officer Andrew Garton.
The service, which began Friday at 12:30 p.m. at Seacoast Grace Church in Cypress, drew hundreds of officers from many police agencies in a show of support for Garton's family and the Hawthorne Police Department.
During the funeral procession for Garton, a Cypress Police motorcycle officer was injured in a crash at Lincoln and Cobblestone. The crash occurred two blocks from the cemetery where the funeral was taking place.
The motorcycle officer was rushed to Long Beach Memorial Hospital. He suffered two broken wrists and is in stable condition.
The incident was under investigation.
Garton was killed May 26 when he collided with another police motorcycle officer, Sgt. Rex Fowler of the El Segundo Police Department, during a funeral escort for Manhattan Beach Police Officer Mark Vasquez, who had died of cancer. Fowler suffered a broken leg but is expected to recover.
Garton was thrown into oncoming traffic during that crash and landed on a vehicle. He had volunteered to work at the funeral, and became the first officer to die in the line of duty in the 89-year history of the department.
The California Highway Patrol is investigating the collision.
The 44-year-old had been a motorcycle officer for about four years and part of the Hawthorne Police Department for more than seven years.
Thursday, Garton's co-workers attended a viewing at Seacoast Grace Church. His death has shaken the small, tight-knit department of 96 officers. Meantime, Garton's family has said the outpouring of support from the department and the community has been tremendous.
The Hawthorne Police Department has set up a trust fund to help Garton's family. Checks should be made out to Officer Andrew Garton Family c/o HPOA. Donations can be dropped off or mailed to:
Western Federal Credit Union
14500 S. Aviation Blvd.
Hawthorne, CA 90250
Hawthorne Police Department
12501 S. Hawthorne Blvd.
Hawthorne, CA 90250
accident, south bay, los angeles news
- Southern California heat expected to die down
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Santa Ana crash leaves man critically injured
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- 2 Chile earthquakes shake Pacific shoreline
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians