Los Angeles News
Police Chief Charlie Beck pushes tighter BB gun regulations
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Los Angeles police commission is considering new regulations on BB or pellet guns Tuesday. If approved, it could drastically change what they look like.
Imagine BB guns looking similar to water pistols. Under the new proposal that L.A. Police Chief Charlie Beck is pushing, he says it could make a big difference in preventing in officer-involved shootings.
Beck says he wants to prevent incidents such as the one in Dec. 2011 in Glassell Park. A 13-year-old boy refused to drop his gun. Officers opened fire, not realizing that the boy was holding a pellet gun. The teen was critically injured and required surgery, but survived.
Right now federal law requires toy guns have a large orange marking around the circumference of the barrel.
But officers say that the markers can be virtually impossible to see from far away, and the guns can look identical to the real thing.
Beck wants to require BB or pellet guns to be colored- such as white, red, green, blue, or even pink. Under the proposal, the guns could also be made with transparent or translucent material.
However businesses, like paintball companies, aren't happy about the proposal.
"By guns being painted a bright color, it would affect sales completely," said Junior Sutitanon from Hollywood Paintball. "It would probably make everyone in the paintball industry lose their jobs because nobody would want to play it anymore."
Beck is also working with lawmakers in Sacramento on similar legislation for California.
lapd, charlie beck, legal, los angeles news, elex michaelson
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Gorman brush fire near full containment 17 min ago
- Tustin theater evacuated for investigation 36 min ago
- High-speed chase leads to arrests, 5 injuries
- Young woman's body found in Santa Paula park
- Brush fire erupts in Thermal, near Indio 20 min ago
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report