Los Angeles News
Santa Monica effort to ban circumcision dropped
SANTA MONICA, Calif. (KABC) -- A measure to ban circumcision will not be going before voters in Santa Monica next year.
Proponent Jena Troutman told the Jewish Journal that she's abandoning her effort after it came under fire from several Jewish groups.
She says her reasons for pushing the ban were not intended as an attack on religious freedom.
"It shouldn't be about religion in the first place," Troutman, a lactation consultant, told The Jewish Journal. "Ninety-five percent of people aren't doing it for religious reasons and with everyone from The New York Times to Glenn Beck focusing on the religious issue, it's closing Americans down to the conversation."
Before it was known that Troutman was dropping her effort, the Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles, the Board of Rabbis of Southern California, Anti-Defamation League and American Jewish Committee issued a statement expressing "great concern" about the possible ballot measure.
"For many, male circumcision is a religious decision that is squarely within the legal right of parents to make for their infant sons," the statement said. "For thousands of years, Jews around the world have engaged in this important religious ritual. The covenant of circumcision is fundamental to the practice of Judaism.
A similar measure is set to go before San Francisco voters in November.
City News Service contributed to this report.
legal, santa monica, los angeles news
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years 53 min ago
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video