Los Angeles News
Teen gang member charged in Venice shooting
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A 19-year-old gang member was charged on Thursday with capital murder in a fatal shooting at Venice's Penmar Park.
Salvador Diaz, 18, and Alan Mateo, 19, were killed in the shooting, and a third man was wounded.
Authorities said Michael Anthony Mariscal of Culver City was charged with two counts of capital murder, with the special circumstances of multiple murder and to benefit a gang. He was also charged with three counts of attempted premeditated murder, one count of street terrorism and one count of possession of a firearm by a felon.
Due to the special circumstance charges, Mariscal could face the death penalty. Prosecutors will decide later whether to seek the death penalty.
Police said the victims were watching a baseball game when Mariscal opened fire on a group of five teens in the 1300 block of Lake Street on June 22.
According to police, Mariscal is a known gang member. He allegedly fled the scene after the shooting, but was later arrested following an LAPD investigation.
Local officials met with residents Tuesday night to talk about crime in the area.
"This park is generally crime-free. It's a family-oriented park, and this has been a very unfortunate incident here that we are working actively to prevent any future occurrences," said LAPD Capt. Gary Walters.
Authorities are still looking for the getaway driver. Anyone with information was asked to call the Los Angeles Police Department at (877) LAPD-24-7.
venice beach, shooting, los angeles news
- LAPD cop car crash: 1 officer dead, 1 injured 39 min ago
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Smoke detectors crucial to avoid fire deaths
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- 2 targeted in attempted kidnap, sexual battery 28 min ago
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide 22 min ago
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Pistorius told guard 'everything is fine'
- Ted Turner hospitalized in Argentine capital 35 min ago
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)