Los Angeles News
Cyclists demand investigation into crash injuring 11
CULVER CITY, Calif. (KABC) -- Cycling groups Thursday night are demanding a thorough investigation of a crash that sent 11 bicyclists to the hospital, six were critically injured.
It was 2 a.m. when a group of approximately 100 bicyclists were on the side of a dark road near the Baldwin Hills scenic overlook at Jefferson Boulevard and Rodeo Road when a car crashed into them.
Two weeks later, cycling activists want to know why there are not six charges of felony DUI. The driver involved in the June 16 crash, Christine Dahab, was booked on a charge of misdemeanor drunken driving and released on $15,000 bail.
Some of the bicyclists say they are the ones being blamed for being on a dark road in the middle of the night.
Angry cyclists were at Los Angeles City Hall Thursday demanding the L.A. district attorney to investigate.
"When you have a drunk driver who is driving erratically, who is driving in a parking lane when she hit people," said Dr. Alex Thompson from Bikeside L.A. "Drunk driving is the cause there, not pedestrians in the roadway."
Don Ward is a bicycling activist with the group "Safe Streets Northridge." He says the streets of L.A. are dangerous for pedestrians and for those on bikes.
Ward says all drivers need to realize people on bikes are part of the traffic flow in Southern California.
"These are all of our roads," said Ward. "If cyclists are in a group and on the road they are traffic. I mean that's just the reality of it."
The LAPD isn't commenting about the investigation. They say Culver City Police have now taken over the case.
Meantime, one of the six cyclists seriously injured in the crash still remains in the hospital.
car crash, dui, culver city, los angeles news, sid garcia
- Malaysia Airlines flight goes missing
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Fatal South LA fire determined suspicious
- Oxnard residents burglarize home
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- abcnews: Meat contaminated w/ LSD sickens family
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Former NFL player Sharper to stay in jail
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- OTRC: Ke$ha leaves rehab after 2 months