Los Angeles News
Man in wetsuit assaults Santa Monica College student
SANTA MONICA, Calif. (KABC) -- A search is under way for a sexual predator in Santa Monica after police said a college student was assaulted.
Police said the Santa Monica College student was walking to her car in the 1300 block of Pearl Street about 10 p.m. Wednesday when a man, wearing what appeared to be a black wetsuit, ran up behind her.
He hit her, forced her to the ground and then sexually assaulted her, according to investigators. The suspect then ran from the scene.
"That's scary," said SMC student Kathy Alvarez. "We always walk alone. You just never know what's going on."
"If it can happen here it can happen anywhere," said SMC student Santos Ozoemena. "This place is really, extremely safe."
The man was described as white, 25 to 30 years old, 5 feet 8 inches to 5 feet 10 inches tall, 140 to 150 pounds with blonde short, curly hair.
"A very brazen attack," said Santa Monica Police Sgt. Martin Fine. "It's not something that happens very often. It is a residential neighborhood off the campus."
The attack comes as a shock to residents who say they feel safe in their quiet neighborhood.
"I'm really surprised," said resident Lisa Riley. "I always feel that Santa Monica is a safe neighborhood. I've never had any problems."
Authorities are asking people in the area to keep a look out for anyone matching the description and also to take extra precaution when walking outside after dark.
"I'm just going to have to be more careful and not try to walk at night," said SMC student Wendy Alvarez. "And not try to stay too late."
Anyone with information is asked to call Santa Monica police at 310-458-8495.
sex crimes, sexual assault, santa monica, los angeles news, darsha philips
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run 17 min ago
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college 33 min ago
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway 13 min ago
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters 28 min ago
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2