Los Angeles News
Man in wetsuit assaults Santa Monica College student
SANTA MONICA, Calif. (KABC) -- A search is under way for a sexual predator in Santa Monica after police said a college student was assaulted.
Police said the Santa Monica College student was walking to her car in the 1300 block of Pearl Street about 10 p.m. Wednesday when a man, wearing what appeared to be a black wetsuit, ran up behind her.
He hit her, forced her to the ground and then sexually assaulted her, according to investigators. The suspect then ran from the scene.
"That's scary," said SMC student Kathy Alvarez. "We always walk alone. You just never know what's going on."
"If it can happen here it can happen anywhere," said SMC student Santos Ozoemena. "This place is really, extremely safe."
The man was described as white, 25 to 30 years old, 5 feet 8 inches to 5 feet 10 inches tall, 140 to 150 pounds with blonde short, curly hair.
"A very brazen attack," said Santa Monica Police Sgt. Martin Fine. "It's not something that happens very often. It is a residential neighborhood off the campus."
The attack comes as a shock to residents who say they feel safe in their quiet neighborhood.
"I'm really surprised," said resident Lisa Riley. "I always feel that Santa Monica is a safe neighborhood. I've never had any problems."
Authorities are asking people in the area to keep a look out for anyone matching the description and also to take extra precaution when walking outside after dark.
"I'm just going to have to be more careful and not try to walk at night," said SMC student Wendy Alvarez. "And not try to stay too late."
Anyone with information is asked to call Santa Monica police at 310-458-8495.
sex crimes, sexual assault, santa monica, los angeles news, darsha philips
- Los Angeles mayoral race: Eric Garcetti wins
- Search for Oklahoma survivors almost complete
- 'DWTS' season finale: New champion crowned
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1, series tied 2-2
- Trutanich concedes to Feuer for city attorney
- Ron Galperin wins LA city controller race
- Prop D, limit on pot shops in LA, passes
- Huffing suspected in college student's death
- Immigration bill approved by Senate committee
- Jodi Arias jury sentencing deliberations begin
- abcnews: Boston bombing probe heads to Russia
- Bin Laden photos: Court sides with US govt
- MJ wrongful death trial: Damaging emails surface
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10
- Bear spotted roaming Sun Valley neighborhood
31 min ago