Los Angeles News
Kate Middleton, Prince William arrive in LA
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Prince William and Kate arrived in Los Angeles on Friday afternoon to begin a jam-packed three-day visit of Southern California.
After touching down, William and Kate, now referred to formally as Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, greeted business and city leaders, including Councilman Tom LaBonge and Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa.
The royal couple headed to the Beverly Hilton, where they attended a technology summit aimed at promoting U.S. investment in British tech firms. Instead of fighting traffic on the 405 Freeway, the couple's motorcade chose to take side streets to Beverly Hills.
Fans of the royal couple gathered outside the Beverly Hilton with flags and signs to catch a glimpse of the couple as they arrived. While thousands of adoring fans welcomed the couple in Canada, there will be little opportunity during their Los Angeles visit for large crowds to gather.
From the Beverly Hilton, the couple headed to Hancock Park, where they are staying at the British Consul General's home.
On Saturday, Prince William will be playing in a polo match in Santa Barbara. Preparations are in full swing for the event, where VIP tickets costs $4,000 each.
Julie Lin of San Marino said she bought two tickets.
"How am I going to make my husband think this is going to be so much fun, once in a lifetime and worth every dollar?" Lin joked.
The royals will head to the Belasco Theatre on Saturday night in downtown Los Angeles for a star-studded red carpet event put on by the British Academy of Film and Television Arts. Tom Hanks, Nicole Kidman, Jennifer Lopez and Barbra Streisand reportedly are among the stars expected to attend the event.
The couple will go to Skid Row on Sunday to meet with kids at Inner-City Arts. The organization focuses on bridging the gap from the art studio to the classroom. Their trip ends with a visit to Sony Studios for a veterans job fair.
Security is tight for the royal couple's Southern California visit. They will be whisked from one event to the next. The trip will be more of a state visit than a meet-and-greet, so the state department is in charge of security.
Police have pretty much put a lid on opportunities for paparazzi. Neighbors in Hancock Park have signed agreements that let police arrest anyone on their lawns.
Longtime paparazzi and celebrity photographer Giles Harrison doesn't believe there will be much paparazzi interest.
"Because they are the most photographed people on the planet, they are not going to be doing anything different than they normally do. It's a state visit, so it will be very controlled," Harrison said.
Restaurants rolled out their British food favorites for the royal visit, while Kate's fashion was bringing big business at local boutiques.
In the trendy Montana Avenue shopping district, one store had Kate to thank for a surge in sales. After Kate wore a pair of crocodile-textured flats, London Sole's website crashed.
"Our website in the states crashed, no joke. For 24 hours, it was shut down. We thought we were being hacked, but people were just massively ordering the shoe," said Maggie Katreva of London Sole.
As a tribute to the royal couple, Spago's is offering dishes served at the royal wedding, while the iconic hot dog eatery Pink's added what they call the "royal dog," which features mustard, cheese, onions, pickle relish, a spot of Pink's famous chili and two slices of bacon.
Timeline of Prince William and Kate's visit:
Friday, July 8
- 3:40 p.m. PT: The royal couple arrives at Los Angeles International Airport
- 4:30 p.m. PT: They arrive at the Beverly Hilton for a reception
- 7:00 p.m. PT: They attend an event at the British Consul General's home in Hancock Park
Saturday, July 9
- Noon - 5 p.m. PT: Prince William plays in a polo match in Santa Barbara
- 6:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. PT: They arrive at Belasco Theatre in downtown Los Angeles for BAFTA event
Sunday, July 10
- 11:30 a.m. PT: Royal couple arrives in Skid Row to meet with kids at Inner City Arts
- 1:15 p.m. PT: They arrive at the Service Nation event at Sony Studios in Culver City
- 3:30 p.m. PT: They're expected to arrive at LAX for departure
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
kate middleton, prince william, hancock park, los angeles news
- LA earthquake: 4.4-mag. quake shakes SoCal
- Body found at Anaheim trash center identified
- Video: Stranded man rescued from Castaic crash
- Russia calls on Ukraine to be a federal state
- Man high on meth terrorizes Covina family
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Newport Beach Little League suspension lifted
- Santa Monica building fire leaves 5 people hurt
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- SEALs take oil tanker from Libyan rebels 14 min ago
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- abcnews: Delta plane loses part of wing mid-air
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios for $32 million
- OTRC: 'The Walking Dead' recap: Season 4, ep 14