Los Angeles News
'Phonehenge' creator ordered jailed by judge
ACTON, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The eccentric creator of an unusual Acton compound dubbed "Phonehenge West" is now behind bars.
Kim Fahey was ordered jailed for refusing to tear down the structures that a judge deemed to be a dangerous violation of codes.
Fahey and his supporters call the creation art.
Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Daviann Mitchell put off Kim Fahey's sentencing for code violations, but ordered him held in lieu of $75,000 bail for disobeying a previous order.
Mitchell said Fahey's "blatant refusal" to demolish the structures and disconnect electricity put his family, the community and first-responders at risk because the buildings pose a significant fire hazard. The judge had allowed Fahey to remain free pending sentencing on the condition that he follow the order.
"I did not want to put Mr. Fahey in custody. I wanted to work with Mr. Fahey. I gave him an opportunity," Mitchell said. "I don't think he has taken the public risk to heart. He has chosen to do nothing."
Fahey's sentencing on the building code violations was rescheduled to July 22. He could face several years in prison unless he removes his buildings. The judge said he can re-erect the structures as long as he obtains proper permits.
If he complies with the judge's order, he should get off with no more than a fine and community service, said his attorney Jerry Lennon.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
legal, los angeles news
- Body found in canyon ID'd as Maribel Ramos
- Castaic-area brush fire nears containment
- CA task force aims to control gun ownership
- Greuel, Garcetti vie for last-minute votes
- Couple arrested in LA pot grow operation 13 min ago
- OC church burglary suspect in custody
- Yosemite park's tourist amenities at stake
- Frazier Park fire: Crews gain upper hand
- Ricin letter case: FBI searches WA apartment 5 min ago
- Tornado-ravaged Texas town to start recovery
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles 54 min ago
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- abcnews: Flesh-eating bacteria survivor's bionic hands
- OTRC: Jennifer Lopez debuts 'Live It Up' video