Los Angeles News
Democrat Janice Hahn wins US House race
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Democrat Janice Hahn defeated Republican Craig Huey in a bitter contest for House seat Tuesday.
With 100 precincts reporting, Hahn, a Los Angeles city councilwoman, had 41,585 votes, or about 55 percent, to 34,636, or about 45 percent, for Huey, who owns marketing and advertising companies and largely bankrolled his campaign with nearly $900,000 in personal funds.
Hahn's victory was far from impressive, given an 18-point Democratic registration edge in the 36th Congressional District, which runs from the Venice boardwalk through the beach communities south of Los Angeles International Airport.
The seat was previously held by Democratic Rep. Jane Harman, who resigned earlier this year to head a Washington think tank.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
election, los angeles news
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies 38 min ago
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim 42 min ago
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified 28 min ago
- Indio High students, faculty tested for TB
- Lancaster woman found dead; sons questioned
- Calif. jobless rate continues positive trend
- Utah's same-sex marriage ban overturned 53 min ago
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Understanding symbols on plastic containers
- Bejo's 'Past' character sometimes unlikeable
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)