Los Angeles News
Democrat Janice Hahn wins US House race
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Democrat Janice Hahn defeated Republican Craig Huey in a bitter contest for House seat Tuesday.
With 100 precincts reporting, Hahn, a Los Angeles city councilwoman, had 41,585 votes, or about 55 percent, to 34,636, or about 45 percent, for Huey, who owns marketing and advertising companies and largely bankrolled his campaign with nearly $900,000 in personal funds.
Hahn's victory was far from impressive, given an 18-point Democratic registration edge in the 36th Congressional District, which runs from the Venice boardwalk through the beach communities south of Los Angeles International Airport.
The seat was previously held by Democratic Rep. Jane Harman, who resigned earlier this year to head a Washington think tank.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
election, los angeles news
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Malaysia not sure which way jet was headed 16 min ago
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video 51 min ago
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects 36 min ago
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building 39 min ago
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book