Los Angeles News
Crowd, LAPD clash at Hollywood film premiere
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles police were trying to control an unruly crowd that threw objects and vandalized cars outside a Hollywood film premiere Wednesday evening.
The disturbance began about 5:40 p.m. when fans who tried to attend the premiere of a film about the Electric Daisy Carnival rave were turned away. An official with the Los Angeles Police Department said the event at Grauman's Chinese Theatre was by invitation only, but many tried to crash it.
Officers reportedly began using firing bean bags the crowd of several hundred people when they refused to disperse. Some said there were up to 2,000 people in the street.
"People in the streets, people wreaking havoc, agitated, angry, refusing to cooperate with the officers," LAPD Capt. Matt Blake said. Authorities closed Hollywood Boulevard between Highland and Orange Avenue.
An artist named DJ Kascade was supposed to perform on the back of a truck but was turned away by the LAPD.
"I was there since 4 o'clock. When I got there at 4 o'clock there was five people there and it turned into 2,000 people," music fan Joshua Wheelwright said. "People got really aggravated."
Several people were detained but later released. Police did not immediately say how many people were arrested.
The Hollywood and Highland Metro Red Line station was closed due to the disturbance. Hollywood Boulevard buses are being detoured to Highland and La Brea avenues and Sunset Boulevard, Metro announced.
Supperclub LA asked "for the safety of our community, do not come to Supperclub tonight."
The Associated Press and City News Service contributed to this report.
lapd, hollywood, los angeles news, leo stallworth
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking
- Anaheim begins closing marijuana dispensaries
- Odor forces evacuation of Pasadena building
- Memorial Day: Gas prices aren't stopping drivers
- Palmdale boy dies after allegedly being tortured
- Are bridges in Southern California safe? 7 min ago
- First section of new 405 Freeway lane opens
- LA attempted murder suspect caught in Colo.
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted; 2 arrested
- abcnews: New clues to 'frustrated' Boston suspect
- Amanda Bynes arrested in NYC on pot charge
- 'The Rock' returns for 'Fast & Furious 6'
- OTRC: Leonardo DiCaprio space trip nabs $1.5 mill
- Bear cub frequents Duarte for snacks
43 min ago