Los Angeles News
Arson suspect arrested in North Hollywood fires
NORTH HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Los Angeles Fire Department says the man arrested for allegedly setting a fire at a motor home in North Hollywood on Tuesday morning is a suspect in a series of recent arson fires in the area.
The suspect was arrested on the 7300 block of Farmdale Avenue after a report of a Winnebago fire.
When firefighters got to the scene, flames were shooting out of the windows of the vehicle. The flames were quickly put out before they could spread to a nearby home. Just a couple blocks away, a car was also set on fire.
LAFD held a press conference on Tuesday. They believe the suspect is related to the 18 fires that were intentionally set, beginning July 17.
"Because of the high fire load we've been having over the past 10 days in the North Hollywood area, we had extra units both from LAPD North Hollywood Division and also Los Angeles Fire Department," said Chief Mike Greenup from LAFD.
LAPD patrolling the area were able to catch the suspect.
"He was spotted actually starting a car on fire," said Greenup.
Authorities say all the fires took place within a one-and-a-half square mile radius, amounting to over $1 million in damage.
"He's related to numerous fires in the North Hollywood area," said Greenup. "He's using the same type of [motive], a lot of fires started in the early morning. If you notice they were all pretty much predictable with auto fires, motor homes and rubbish fires."
The investigation is ongoing. Authorities are looking into whether there are additional suspects.
los angeles city fire department, arson, north hollywood, los angeles news, darsha philips
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Big Sur wildfire is now fully contained 38 min ago
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested 4 min ago
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Beyonce surprises fans at Mass. Wal-Mart
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)