Los Angeles News
Hancock Park's 'House of Davids' for sale
HANCOCK PARK, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- If you've ever driven through Hancock Park, you've probably seen it: The house with all the replica statues of Michelangelo's David out front.
For years, neighbors have wanted the statues gone. They may finally get their wish.
It's a Los Angeles icon or eyesore, depending on who you ask. The 22-room house at the corner of 3rd Street and South Muirfield Road has been a cornerstone of controversy since owner Norwood Young decorated the front yard with 19 statues of David.
"In my mind, I was going to use the celebrity of the house and segue it into the music and make the things happen. It didn't pan out that way. It turned out that no one was interested in knowing Norwood the singer," said Young.
But they sure wanted to know about the house, especially neighbors who launched a legal fight to try to force him out. After 14 years, Young has decided it's time to move on, so he's selling his mansion.
"There have been haters and naysayers who will be happy today that I'm leaving the neighborhood. So for them, I'm happy. And for me, I'm happy to make this wonderful change," Young said.
There are no Davids inside the house, but there are lots of other art. The home has six bedrooms, six bathrooms, a backyard pool, home theater and a revolving rack in the closet.
But it's the Davids that really stand out. Young said, like David and Goliath, the statues represent all the things he has overcome, including addiction and sexual abuse.
He's leaving it all behind with no regrets.
"They can knock those statues down. I'll take them with me, whatever. I did what I came here to do," said Young.
The "House of Davids" is on the market for $2.1 million. As for Young, he says he plans on focusing on his music, which is why he originally moved to Los Angeles.
hancock park, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully 8 min ago
- S. Korean ferry's slow evacuation probed
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect 4 min ago
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Mount Everest avalanche: 6 killed, 9 missing
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- Kittens accidentally shipped from LA to SD
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)