Los Angeles News
FBI seeks Southern California serial bank robber
PASADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- He was once dubbed the "Tri-Cities Bandit." But now he's suspected of robbing banks in at least eight cities. The FBI is asking for the public's help to find him. He's wanted for nine bank robberies in Southern California in the past two months. Two of them were committed Wednesday in La Verne and Pasadena.
The FBI released recent surveillance photos of the suspect.
Federal agents dubbed him the "Tri-Cities Bandit" after his first three robberies in the Glendale, Burbank and Pasadena areas, but he has since branched out.
The locations don't appear to have a pattern. He struck one bank as far west as Tarzana and two others as far as east as La Verne and Chino Hills.
Authorities do say his behavior appears increasingly desperate. Friday he robbed a Grandpoint Bank branch in Brentwood. Monday it was Chino Hills; Tuesday, a bank on Wilshire; and Wednesday he hit two more banks in one day, including a Bank of the West on Colorado in Pasadena.
Authorities say the suspect is a 30- to 40-year-old Latino man, standing about 5 feet 5 inches to 5 feet 8 inches tall, weighing about 150 to 160 pounds, with short dark hair and a goatee. He recently began wearing sunglasses when he strikes.
He has not brandished a weapon at any of the robberies, but authorities warn he should be considered armed and dangerous.
The Tri-Cities Bandit has been linked to the following robberies:
- June 13, Citibank, 360 E. Magnolia Blvd., Burbank
- July 19, Wells Fargo, 82 S. Lake Ave., Pasadena
- July 20, Wells Fargo, 535 N. Brand Blvd., Glendale
- Aug. 11, EastWest, 18321 Ventura Blvd., Tarzana
- Aug. 12, Grandpoint, 11661 San Vicente Blvd., Brentwood
- Aug. 15, OneWest, 3410 Grand Ave., Chino Hills
- Aug. 16, Bank of America, 3442 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles
- Aug. 17, Bank of the West, 2500 E. Colorado Blvd., Pasadena
- Aug. 17, U.S. Bank, 1900 E. Foothill Blvd., La Verne
Anyone with information about the identity or whereabouts of the "Tri-Cities Bandit" is asked to call the FBI in Los Angeles at (888) CANT HIDE (226-8443), or dial 911.
City News Service contributed to this report.
bank robbery, los angeles news, jovana lara
- Tornado hits Oklahoma City suburbs; 51 dead
- Undersheriff Tanaka speaks out against Baca 14 min ago
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Greuel, Garcetti make final stops across LA
- Video: Pit bull owners rally against discrimination
- Girl escapes brazen kidnap attempt in OC
- Elephant meat, dead primate seized at LAX
- Laguna Beach sex assault suspect surrenders
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay
- abcnews: Hofstra student killed in police standoff
- NKorea on day 3 of short-range weapon launches
- Does your child have oral allergy syndrome?
- Ray Manzarek, The Doors founder, dies at 74
- OTRC: 'Dancing With The Stars' recap - week 10