Los Angeles News
$2M worth of diamonds stolen in NoHo heist
NORTH HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A search is under way for a gang of thieves who staged a brazen jewelry heist in North Hollywood, swiping a backpack full of diamonds.
The incident happened at about 10 p.m. Thursday at the intersection of Bel Air Road and Burbank Boulevard. The victim told investigators that shortly after he left a friend's home, a car hit him from behind, and then another vehicle pulled in front to prevent him from fleeing.
At that point, he said five or six suspects wearing black masks and black clothes exited their vehicles, approached his car, smashed the passenger-side window and stole a backpack reportedly containing diamonds valued at about $2 million.
The victim said he tried to hold on to that backpack, but one of the suspects punched him in the face, forcing him to let go.
Authorities said the man was likely targeted and intentionally followed by the suspects.
It was unknown if the diamonds were insured.
Police said one of the vehicles involved in the heist was either a gray or gold SUV. Another vehicle possibly involved in the incident may have also been in a later hit-and-run crash with a fire hydrant. Authorities impounded that car to search for fingerprints and other clues that may tie the vehicle to the jewelry heist.
If you have any information regarding this incident, you're urged to contact LAPD at (877) LAPD-24-7 or (877) 527-3247.
robbery, north hollywood, lapd, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- London attack victim was a serving soldier
- Glendora yard dug up in 35-year-old cold case
- Oklahoma tornado victims' names released
- Bear cub breaks into a kitchen in Duarte
- Local police officer accused of child molest 41 min ago
- OC sheriff's reserve sergeant found beaten
- Model murder trial: Case in hands of jury
- UC hospital workers' strike ends after 2 days 55 min ago
- abcnews: New Susan Powell video released
- Teen birth rate: Nearly all states see drop
- Charles Ramsey promised free burgers for life 1 min ago
- 'Hangover' films changed lives of the stars
- OTRC: Critics' Choice Television Awards nominees
- Tornado relief drives: More than $211K raised