Los Angeles News
Witness: Metro murder suspect changed shirt, fled scene
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The investigation of a murder on the Metro Red Line in Hollywood continued Saturday night.
The victim was fatally stabbed onboard a train near the Hollywood and Vine Station, under the W Hotel on Hollywood Boulevard.
According to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department a Hispanic man was stabbed by another passenger while riding the Red Line train at about 8:20 p.m. Friday. The train was heading northbound toward the Hollywood and Vine Station.
Sheriff's officials said the victim and the suspect got into an altercation on the train. The victim took out a plastic chain and began swinging it at the suspect.
The suspect, described as an Asian man in his 20s, reportedly hit the victim in the head with a skateboard, then pulled out a knife and stabbed the victim in the upper torso. The victim was declared dead at the scene.
The victim was identified as 59-year-old North Hollywood resident Jesse Garay.
There were many passengers on the train who witnessed the bloody event.
"The guy who was bleeding, ultimately, he pulled out like a chain, and he's like wanting to hit this guy, and that guy is kind of blocking with a skateboard," said witness Mark Aucoin, who said he felt the victim was very intent on hitting the suspect with the chain.
Witnesses described the suspect as very distraught after the stabbing. He reportedly fled the scene carrying two skateboards. He was described as having acne scars on his face.
Deputies said surveillance footage shows the suspect clearly, and they believe the suspect is a regular on the train.
According to Metrolink, this incident marks the first homicide on the Red Line since it opened in 1993.
The sheriff's department said patrols were being increased in the area.
If you have information about the incident, contact Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department homicide detectives at (323) 890-5500. Anonymous tips can be reported at Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS and lacrimestoppers.org, or text the letters "TIPLA" to CRIMES (274637) by cellphone.
homicide investigation, murder, stabbing, metrolink, hollywood, los angeles news
- Los Angeles mayoral race: Eric Garcetti wins
- Oklahoma tornado damage could top $2 billion
- Man shot to death in Boston bombing probe
- Bear roams around Shadow Hills neighborhood
- Injured volunteer wants thousands from hiker
- Prop D, limit on pot shops in LA, passes
- Big rig, truck collide in Pomona; 2 killed
- Body positively identified as missing hiker
- Arias jury stuck but must keep deliberating 37 min ago
- abcnews: Cleveland kidnap victims 'happy and safe'
- UK attack driven by radical Islam - officials 59 min ago
- MJ wrongful death trial: Damaging emails surface
- 'DWTS' season finale: New champion crowned
- PHOTOS: 'Dancing With The Stars' finale