Los Angeles News
Dozens of Army reservists return to SoCal
SOUTH EL MONTE, Calif. (KABC) -- Dozens of local Army reservists returned home Sunday afternoon following a one-year deployment in Iraq.
Family and friends gave the 52 soldiers a big welcome - they kissed, laughed and hung on to each other.
Children were clearly thrilled to be back in their fathers' arms. A couple of newlyweds said they waited a long time for the reunion.
"He was home in March, which is when we got married. We've been married for five months and I've only seen him about seven days of that, so it's nice to have him home," said Diandra Poyos.
Her husband, Sgt. Javier Poyos, said he's glad to be back.
"The lord watched over me. I'm back here, and I can be with my wife," he said.
Members of the 250th Transportation Company operate some of the army's largest trucks, transporting tanks and other equipment to and from the battlefield.
Sgt. Jeannie Juarez was surrounded by family and given a four-paw salute by her dog.
"My little dog is happy to see me, too. She missed me," said Juarez.
The soldiers returning from their first deployment were honored with Welcome Home Warrior Citizen Awards.
iraq, u.s. troops, los angeles news, amy powell
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 2 19 min ago
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- Missing flight's last words were routine 20 min ago
- Tanker crash shuts I-5 North lanes in Castaic 32 min ago
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- CA DMV mulls how to regulate driverless cars
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings 16 min ago
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons
- Unbelievable scenes from Colorado car chase
43 min ago
- Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
42 min ago