Los Angeles News
Police arrest man after standoff in Downey
DOWNEY, Calif. (KABC) -- Authorities arrested a man who was barricaded in an apartment complex in Downey on Tuesday.
Officials said they were investigating an assault when the suspect, 24 year-old Jeff Zuniga, barricaded himself inside the building on Elm Vista Drive and Bellflower Boulevard.
Neighbors, who had to be evacuated during the standoff, said the situation started around 8:30 p.m. Monday and ended 10 hours later. Zuniga's girlfriend was in the building with him. Officials said she's safe.
The suspect's mother, Gloria Linares, told Eyewitness News that her son and his 18-year-old niece got into an argument.
The niece called police and told them that the suspect pointed a gun at her.
Following that alleged confrontation, he went to his mother's Downey apartment, where the standoff took place.
The apartment manager, Carol Melendrez, said that tear gas was used at one point during the standoff.
Melendrez said the suspect had lived at the apartment complex with his mother, but he moved out.
standoff, lapd, los angeles county sheriff's department, los angeles news, darsha philips
- Malaysian PM: Jet's disappearance deliberate 30 min ago
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Brush fire burns near Gorman by Quail Lake
- OC 'flasher' suspect captured in San Diego
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Man who hoarded snakes in OC home charged
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Criticism of painkiller Zohydro intensifies
1 min ago