Los Angeles News
4 SoCal hospitals fined for endangering patients
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Four local hospitals -- three in Los Angeles County and one in Riverside County -- are among a dozen fined by state health officials for endangering or harming patients.
Brotman Medical Center in Culver City, Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center in Boyle Heights, Torrance Memorial Medical Center and Riverside Community Hospital were each fined $50,000.
According to the CDPH, Brotman Medical Center failed to follow its policies and procedures for fall prevention, resulting in a patient's death. An 82-year-old man who had suffered a stroke fell and hit his head, and later died.
L.A. County USC was fined after a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist put a man under general anesthesia without consultation by the supervising physician. That patient suffered neurological damage.
Torrance Memorial Medical Center was fined after a small bottle of laparoscopic defogging solution was found inside a patient who had undergone laparoscopic surgery. The hospital had failed to account for the missing bottle following the operation, and it was found in a subsequent surgical procedure, according to the CDPH.
Riverside Community Hospital was fined for "failing to ensure the health and safety of a patient when it did not follow its surgical policies and procedures," according to the state. A 14-centimeter metal clamp was not detected or removed from a patient's abdomen during an operation.
Fines were also issued to facilities in Alameda, Contra Costa, San Francisco, San Luis Obispo, Santa Cruz, Solano and Stanislaus counties.
City News Service contributed to this report.
los angeles news
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Stage collapse reported at Servite High School 1 min ago
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video