Los Angeles News
Memorial marks 3-year anniversary of Chatsworth train crash
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Three years ago Monday, a Metrolink train crashed in Chatsworth, killing 25 people. Relatives of the victims are pleading with people to stop texting behind the wheel.
Relatives of those who lost their lives on that day gathered to honor them in Simi Valley Monday.
A Metrolink train pulled into the Simi Valley station Monday afternoon at the time Train 111 was supposed to arrive on this day three years ago.
On September 12, 2008, a Metrolink train carrying 222 passengers collided head-on with a Union Pacific freight train in Chatsworth, killing 24 passengers, the engineer and injuring 135 others.
Monday more than a dozen victims and family members gathered to remember the tragic day.
The Metrolink engineer who died in the crash, Robert Sanchez, was sending text messages in the minutes leading up to the crash. Investigators say he was distracted and missed a red signal to stop the train.
A 1997 federal law caps liability damages for railroads at $200 million.
Some family members and crash survivors are upset with the settlement amount they are to receive as a result of the cap.
In Palmdale Monday, the city's mayor proclaimed it "Don't Text and Drive Day" in honor of Jacob Hefter, an 18-year-old from Palmdale who died in the crash.
Hefter's family displayed the SUV Jacob used to drive. It's become a moving message about not texting and driving, and more than 2,200 people have signed the vehicle as a pledge to make the right choice.
"We don't want others to suffer what we have suffered. We want people to make sure that they're making positive choices in life," said Angela Hefter, Jacob's mother.
Metrolink officials say they have installed video cameras inside locomotives to monitor engineers. They also plan to activate an automatic train-stop system that would allow them to actually stop a train, even if an engineer fails to acknowledge a red signal.
metrolink, antelope valley, los angeles news, john hartung
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker 46 min ago
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana 57 min ago
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Man found dead inside Palmdale apartment 23 min ago
- 2 sought in Lancaster home invasion robberies
- VC suspicious death investigation underway
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Man wakes up locked inside dark empty plane
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic 8 min ago
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004 2 min ago
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis