Los Angeles News
Teen guilty in Wilson High School homecoming shooting
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A jury found Tom Love Vinson guilty of first-degree murder Monday. Vinson was charged with the shooting death of Melody Ross, 16, at a high school homecoming football game in 2009.
Vinson was also convicted on two counts of attempted murder and one count of attempted voluntary manslaughter, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office.
The jury also found for the special allegations of personally and intentionally discharging a handgun and committing the crimes to further a street gang.
Vinson, 18, and another teen, Daivion Davis, 17, were charged as adults. Davis was 15 and Vinson was 16 at the time of the shooting.
Davis was sentenced Monday to eight years and four months in juvenile custody. Davis had pleaded no contest to one count each of manslaughter and attempted murder, according to the D.A.'s office.
Vinson faces more than 155 years to life in state prison when he next appears in court on October 25 for sentencing.
On October 20, 2009, shots were fired into a group of people after a Wilson High School homecoming football game against Long Beach Poly. Three people were struck by bullets.
Melody Ross died from her injuries. Two men, an 18-year-old and a 20-year-old who were not students, were wounded and hospitalized.
court case, murder, sentencing, los angeles news
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- LA Marathon: Ethiopian runners sweep race 9 min ago
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- 2 attacked by bees in La Cañada Flintridge 15 min ago
- Yucaipa woman arrested in husband's murder 28 min ago
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies 5 min ago
- Injured LAPD officer released from hospital
- San Dimas boat crash leaves 1 dead, 1 injured 9 min ago
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- William Clay Ford, Lions owner, dies
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks