Los Angeles News
Magic Johnson's new venture: helping LA high school dropouts
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Magic Johnson is teaming up with EdisonLearning to help improve high school dropout rates of African-American and Latino students in Los Angeles County.
"We are having a major, major problem, especially in urban America when you look at our inner city schools," the former Los Angeles Lakers star said. "We have got to get these young people educated, get them into the workforce."
EdisonLearning, an international educational service provider of 20 years, has worked with numerous school districts nationwide to help turn around underperforming schools.
EdisonLearning says their vision is to partner with Johnson by opening several Magic Johnson Bridgescape Learning Centers in urban communities throughout Los Angeles County. They say these centers would target high school dropouts and at-risk high school students by providing them added support to help them graduate high school.
Officials say they opened nearly 10 Bridgescape Learning Centers in urban communities in Ohio last year.
"Unlike a traditional school setting, the Bridgescape program is a blend of one-on-one and group instruction infused with interactive online offerings specifically tailored for each individual student," said Jeff Wahl, CEO of EdisonLearning.
EdisonLearning says partnering with Magic Johnson Enterprises is only one part of the equation. They say they need to get local school districts onboard to identify at-risk students and dropouts in their community.
They hope to open the first center in Los Angeles County in 2012.
celebrity, education, school, los angeles news, leo stallworth
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case 38 min ago
- Inmate escapes jail hours after sentencing
- Norwood pleads not guilty to weapons charge
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors