Los Angeles News
LAUSD 2-semestser schools to start class earlier in August
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Summer will be a little bit shorter for Los Angeles Unified School District students in the next school year.
All LAUSD students on a traditional, two-semester calendar will begin the 2012-2013 academic year in August, which is three weeks earlier than usual.
The Board of Education approved the change. An attempt to delay implementation of the early start failed to be approved by the board on Tuesday.
Supporters of the early start calendar say implementing it district-wide will allow families to have all of their children on the same annual schedule and provide continuity for employees.
The school year is slated to start Aug. 14, 2012 and end on June 4, 2013.
Nineteen district high schools and one elementary school, mainly in the San Fernando Valley, began classes last month. Principals of these schools with August start dates told district officials that the early start means less loss of learning and more passing grades for students.
City News Service contributed to this report.
lausd, school, los angeles news
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully 18 min ago
- S. Korean ferry's slow evacuation probed
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect 14 min ago
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Mount Everest avalanche: 6 killed, 9 missing
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- Kittens accidentally shipped from LA to SD
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)