Los Angeles News
LAUSD 2-semestser schools to start class earlier in August
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Summer will be a little bit shorter for Los Angeles Unified School District students in the next school year.
All LAUSD students on a traditional, two-semester calendar will begin the 2012-2013 academic year in August, which is three weeks earlier than usual.
The Board of Education approved the change. An attempt to delay implementation of the early start failed to be approved by the board on Tuesday.
Supporters of the early start calendar say implementing it district-wide will allow families to have all of their children on the same annual schedule and provide continuity for employees.
The school year is slated to start Aug. 14, 2012 and end on June 4, 2013.
Nineteen district high schools and one elementary school, mainly in the San Fernando Valley, began classes last month. Principals of these schools with August start dates told district officials that the early start means less loss of learning and more passing grades for students.
City News Service contributed to this report.
lausd, school, los angeles news
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash 44 min ago
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down 12 min ago
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings 1 min ago
- Ex-con allegedly attacked 2 relatives, friend
- Kaiser Permanente missing info on 49K patients
- 80 pot plants found growing in sign-making biz
- IE student arrested in school vandalism case
- Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- Prisoner reduction deadline pushed to April
- Senator's aide arrested on child porn charges
- abcnews: Bernie Madoff's 7 biggest lies
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year
- Paul Walker crash: 2nd theft suspect surrenders
- OTRC: Ellen DeGeneres reacts to tabloid cover