Los Angeles News
4 arraigned in text-prompted North Hollywood murder
NORTH HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Three men and one woman were arraigned Friday on conspiracy and murder charges, the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office announced.
Van Nuys residents Zareh Manjikian, 24, and Vahagn Jurian, 24, pleaded not guilty to one count each of conspiracy to commit a crime and murder in the Nov. 18, 2009, fatal shooting of Gombert "Mike" Yepremyan.
The indictment also charges Van Nuys residents Hovik Dzhuryan, 19, and his sister, Khatun Vardanian, 22, with one count each of conspiracy. Dzhuryan and Vardanian each pleaded not guilty.
Yepremyan was fatally shot in the parking lot of a Sears store in North Hollywood at Victory and Laurel Canyon the night of Nov. 18, 2009.
The D.A. alleges Jurian struck Yepremyan in the face with his fist, and Manjikian shot Yepremyan in the back of the head with a 9mm handgun.
The incident allegedly stemmed from Yepremyan sending a text message to his girlfriend in which he insulted Vardanian. The D.A. alleges Vardanian saw the message and told her brother, Dzhuryan, to beat up Yepremyan.
The D.A. alleges Yepremyan began receiving calls from Dzhuryan, Jurian and others, telling him to meet them at the Sears parking lot.
Zareh Manjikian subsequently fled the country. After an international manhunt, Manjikian surrendered to police in July. He was held on $8 million bail.
Vahagn Jurian was also a fugitive until he was arrested earlier in 2011. Jurian was held on $4 million bail.
Bail was set at $30,000 for Vardanian and $45,000 for Dzhuryan.
murder, north hollywood, los angeles news
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Big Sur wildfire is now fully contained 35 min ago
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Beyonce surprises fans at Mass. Wal-Mart
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)