Los Angeles News
Man shot dead at daughter's birthday party in Watts
WATTS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Police have arrested a 19-year-old man in connection to the shooting and killing of a man at his stepdaughter's birthday party in Watts.
The shooting happened about 11:30 p.m. Saturday in the 9900 block of Anzac Avenue.
Police said 31-year-old Jesus Orosco confronted two gang members and told them to stop flashing gang signs at his 18-year-old stepdaughter's birthday party.
"During the party, 19-year-old Luis Padilla became involved in a dispute with another party member," said Cleon Joseph of the Los Angeles Police Department in a statement. "When Orosco tried to intervene and stop the confrontation, Padilla pulled out a gun and shot Orosco."
He was then shot once in the chest and died from his injuries.
Police found Padilla in the Jordan Downs Housing Development early this morning. He was arrested and booked for murder. The teen is being held in lieu of $1 million bail.
Detectives said they are continuing their search for more possible suspects.
If you have any information regarding this shooting, you're urged to call police at (877) LAPD-24-7 or (877) 527-3247.
City News Service contributed to this report.
shooting, gang activity, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Greuel, Garcetti rally for undecided voters
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- Castaic-area brush fire nears containment
- CA task force aims to control gun ownership
- Couple arrested in LA pot grow operation
- OC church burglary suspect in custody
- Police impersonator halts bus in Redlands
- Frazier Park fire: Crews gain upper hand
- Ricin letter case: FBI searches WA apartment
- Virginia parade crash injures up to 60 people
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1 in OT of Game 3 4 min ago
- abcnews: Flesh-eating bacteria survivor's bionic hands
- OTRC: Jennifer Lopez debuts 'Live It Up' video
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
15 min ago