Los Angeles News
West Hollywood bans sale of fur clothing
WEST HOLLYWOOD (KABC) -- The city of West Hollywood has approved a ban on the sale of fur clothing. It's a big win for animal rights activists and the first ordinance of its kind in the U.S.
Councilmember John D'Amico spearheaded the campaign. At a city council meeting that lasted 7 hours, members unanimously approved an ordinance that would ban the sale of clothing made of fur, wool and animal hair.
"You've got to start banning cruelty, you've got to start banning horrors that are happening to these animals just for the name of vanity or profit," said Chris DeRose, founder and president of Last Chance for Animals.
Others aren't happy about the ban, saying it takes away freedom of choice.
"It's a matter of choice. And in this case, it's a matter of a city sticking to the initial principles of the founding fathers of the city, and it's a matter of democratic process," said Keith Kaplan, executive director of the Fur Information Council of America.
Those who are against the ban said there will be a significant economic impact. The ban does not extend to leather products.
The city council will meet again in two weeks to hammer out some details, including when the ban will go into effect and what the penalties would be if the ban is violated.
West Hollywood has a longstanding reputation of being animal-friendly. The city has already banned declawing of cats. It also prohibits pet stores from doing business with puppy mills.
animal news, fashion, los angeles news, darsha philips
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- India diplomat claims cavity search in NYC 15 min ago
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present 13 min ago
- Two smart watch models put to the test
49 min ago