Los Angeles News
Gardena store owner kills alleged robbery suspect
GARDENA, Calif. (KABC) -- Authorities say a robbery suspect was shot and killed by a store owner in Gardena early Friday. A bystander was also shot.
Police responded to the shooting at Paisano's Meat in the 1500 block of W. Rosecrans Avenue at about 6:30 a.m. and found two shooting victims.
One shooting victim was determined to be an alleged armed robbery suspect, who was shot by the store owner as he attempted to rob the store. The suspect fled and then collapsed on the sidewalk. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
"The suspect entered into the business and the owner and the suspect, there was an exchange of gunfire between the two, and the suspect was shot. The owner was not injured," said Gardena Police Lt. Steve Prendergast.
Authorities say a bystander was also shot but was expected to survive. It was not clear who shot him.
"It appears that it was self-defense, that he was confronted by an armed gunman that came into his business at 6:30 this morning and tried to rob him, and he felt threatened to the point where he had to defend himself," said Prendergast.
The incident remains under investigation. Anyone with information related to the incident should contact the Gardena Police Department at (310) 217-9639.
shooting, robbery, south bay, los angeles news, sid garcia
- Malaysian PM: Jet's disappearance deliberate
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Woman, horse rescued at Angeles Nat'l Forest
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Green cars for rent at niche LA-based company 55 min ago
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report