Los Angeles News
LA commuters brace for Obama's visit Monday
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- President Barack Obama is scheduled to arrive at Los Angeles International Airport for two Southland fundraisers Monday.
After arriving about 4:40 p.m., Obama will attend a fundraiser at the House of Blues on the Sunset Strip, followed by a private dinner that begins at about 6 p.m. at the Fig & Olive in Los Angeles.
The "No Parking" signs are already going up.
"We started seeing the signs along the way," said Paul Sanchez, who's in town from Orlando, Fla. "As we were walking up here we thought it was a parade or something."
It's no parade, but a presidential visit during Monday rush hour traffic will likely turn out to be a nightmare for commuters.
Last summer's visit to Los Angeles cost the White House some serious PR points as drivers were stuck in hours-long gridlock. But the last time Obama came to town he relied on helicopters more than motorcades to try to cut down on the congestion.
Many officials are speculating that will be the case once again. However, his visit for the fundraisers will still require time on the ground.
There will be closures on the Sunset Strip, Santa Monica Boulevard, Holloway Drive and La Cienega Boulevard. San Vicente Boulevard will be shut down between Santa Monica Boulevard and Melrose Avenue from Monday morning until noon Tuesday.
While the street closures will have a big impact, not everyone thinks it's a problem.
"It's not a big deal," said Culver City resident Terry Smith. "It's not like he's coming every day. And he's the president, so it's OK."
The president is scheduled to leave Tuesday morning.
president barack obama, west hollywood, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Gunman at large in East LA party shooting
- Drug boat washes ashore in Manhattan Beach
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking
- Anaheim begins closing marijuana dispensaries
- OC teen to be tried as adult in dad beating
- OC thieves sought for smash-grab robbery
- Ex-PTA president allegedly stole candy funds
- Man killed when Amtrak train collides with car
- AZ sheriff's office profiles Latinos - judge
- Communications satellite launched into space
- London attack: 3 more arrested in slaying
- abcnews: WWII medals back after mistaken donation
- Rogers, gay soccer player, joins LA Galaxy
- OTRC: Blake Shelton's Oklahoma benefit concert