Los Angeles News
FBI investigation targets LA County jails
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles County jails have become the target of a civil-rights abuse investigation by the FBI.
Agents say they are looking into allegations in at least two separate cases.
The investigation follows complaints by the American Civil Liberties Union that one of its jail monitors saw deputies beat an inmate unconscious.
L.A. County Sheriff's officials say FBI agents have apparently gone as far as helping smuggle a cellphone into one facility to communicate with a prisoner.
Officials say the federal investigation is not warranted because several independent agencies already keep a close eye on L.A. County jails.
los angeles county sheriff's department, los angeles news
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- 287 missing, 9 dead in SKorea ferry disaster
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- 'Luger Bandit' bank robbery suspect caught
- Distracted-driving trial: OC jury deadlocks
- Solvang ordnance scare prompts evacuations
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break