Los Angeles News
FBI investigation targets LA County jails
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles County jails have become the target of a civil-rights abuse investigation by the FBI.
Agents say they are looking into allegations in at least two separate cases.
The investigation follows complaints by the American Civil Liberties Union that one of its jail monitors saw deputies beat an inmate unconscious.
L.A. County Sheriff's officials say FBI agents have apparently gone as far as helping smuggle a cellphone into one facility to communicate with a prisoner.
Officials say the federal investigation is not warranted because several independent agencies already keep a close eye on L.A. County jails.
los angeles county sheriff's department, los angeles news
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- 1 of 4 missing women found; mystery remains 54 min ago
- 96 animals rescued from 2 Los Angeles homes
- LAPD officers to wear body cameras downtown
- Big Sur fire burns 769 acres; chance of rain
- Harvard student admits to hoax to avoid final 19 min ago
- White House panel urges limit on NSA snooping 12 min ago
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- 'Mary Poppins' among 25 films to be preserved 20 min ago
- Paul Walker crash: No mechanical issues 35 min ago
- Photos: Leonardo DiCaprio, Matthew M. at 'Wolf' event