Los Angeles News
UCLA on alert after sexual assault of student near campus
WESTWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- University of California, Los Angeles police are on alert after a student was sexually assaulted one block from campus.
Police said the student was walking about one block away from campus near Strathmore Drive and Levering Avenue at about 7 p.m. Saturday when a man grabbed her, threw her into his car and sexually assaulted her.
Authorities said the victim was wearing headphones listening to music at the time of the incident, and that may have hindered her ability to hear her attacker approaching.
The woman was able to escape after the assault, but the suspect drove away.
Students are concerned and said it's important to be alert especially when you're alone.
"Yeah, it scares me a lot more but you just need to be aware of your surroundings," said UCLA student Molly Mitchell. Mitchell said campus police have warned her sorority house about not wearing headphones while walking around.
"To an attacker, it's kind of an obvious sign of, 'She's not paying attention,' or, 'I can run after her and she won't have time to be screaming until I take her,'" Mitchell said.
The suspect is described as a white male between 30 to 35 years old, with a heavy build, about 6 feet 1 inch tall with short brown hair, wearing a black shirt, beige shorts and white shoes.
He was driving a white, four-door Honda Civic about 10 to 15 years old.
Anyone with information regarding this incident is urged to call the UCLA Police Department at (310) 794-5824.
sexual assault, school, los angeles news, john gregory
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Santa Ana crash leaves man critically injured
- Norwalk homicide investigation underway 55 min ago
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack
- Thermal brush fire contained at 350 acres
- Some CA cities seek water independence 35 min ago
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession 19 min ago
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians