Los Angeles News
Washington Prep cheerleader, 16, collapses at game, dies hours later
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- An autopsy is scheduled for a high school cheerleader who collapsed during a football game and died at a hospital Friday night.
Angela Gettis, a 16-year-old sophomore at George Washington Preparatory High School in South Los Angeles, collapsed on the field at Fremont High School about 9:10 p.m. She was taken to the hospital, where she was pronounced dead about three hours later.
Los Angeles Unified School District officials said it was apparently the result of sudden cardiac arrest. The girl's family said she had no known medical problems.
"Washington High School, like every other high school, has its share of unfortunate incidents regarding youth," Washington Prep Principal Todd Ullah said. "We prepare for that, but you can never really prepare for that. It's devastating. It's tragic."
Ullah said Gettis was a good student and a leader on campus. She was a member of the Junior Reserved Officers Training Corps and had planned on going to college and majoring in forensic science.
"I just want people to remember the heart she had. She was very kind," said Angela Kirkindoff, Gettis' aunt.
Crisis counselors will be at the school Monday to help students and faculty deal with her death.
los angeles news, leanne suter
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run 13 min ago
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet 4 min ago
- abcnews: Man accused of killing teens who entered home
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- Zadan, Meron to produce Oscars for 3rd year
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2