Los Angeles News
Washington Prep cheerleader, 16, collapses at game, dies hours later
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- An autopsy is scheduled for a high school cheerleader who collapsed during a football game and died at a hospital Friday night.
Angela Gettis, a 16-year-old sophomore at George Washington Preparatory High School in South Los Angeles, collapsed on the field at Fremont High School about 9:10 p.m. She was taken to the hospital, where she was pronounced dead about three hours later.
Los Angeles Unified School District officials said it was apparently the result of sudden cardiac arrest. The girl's family said she had no known medical problems.
"Washington High School, like every other high school, has its share of unfortunate incidents regarding youth," Washington Prep Principal Todd Ullah said. "We prepare for that, but you can never really prepare for that. It's devastating. It's tragic."
Ullah said Gettis was a good student and a leader on campus. She was a member of the Junior Reserved Officers Training Corps and had planned on going to college and majoring in forensic science.
"I just want people to remember the heart she had. She was very kind," said Angela Kirkindoff, Gettis' aunt.
Crisis counselors will be at the school Monday to help students and faculty deal with her death.
los angeles news, leanne suter
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- School hacking: Tutor wanted for questioning
- Rodman in NKorea to prep for basketball game
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Report finds bacteria on 97 percent of chicken
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant 37 min ago
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis