Los Angeles News
South Gate student charged in ex-girlfriend's stabbing death
SOUTH GATE, Calif. (KABC) -- Monday marked the first day of classes at a South Gate high school since a 17-year-old student was stabbed to death.
Crisis counselors were on hand at South East High School Monday to help students deal with the death of 17-year-old Cindi Santana. She was allegedly killed by her ex-boyfriend Abraham Lopez, 18, on campus Friday.
Authorities say that Santana was attacked during lunch by Lopez, who is also a student. Witnesses said Lopez punched Santana in the face, began choking her and then stabbed her several times.
"It was really sad to see what happened. I was standing in front of it," said student Michelle Gomez. "It was really intense."
Varsity football player George Garcia and a female dean and were also injured while trying to subdue Lopez.
Santana later died at St. Francis Medical Center.
Lopez was arrested on Sept. 25 for making a criminal threat against Santana. Authorities said he sent he text messages saying that he was going to send men to beat up her sister's husband.
The District Attorney did not press charges due to insufficient evidence and Lopez was released from jail on Tuesday.
LAUSD Superintendent John Deasy said the school did know about his arrest.
"We were looking for him obviously, we were notified of that," said Deasy. "But he did not come to school that week."
Deasy said that Lopez did not attend classes on Friday but came onto the campus during lunch.
Students who witnessed the violent attack still can't believe what happened.
"I didn't think he would go this far," said student Ruby Sarias. She said that Santana and Lopez had been dating since the ninth grade. She recalled Santana talking about their relationship during gym class.
"The things she would tell me, he seemed really obsessive," she said. "She would tell me even when they weren't together he would get upset if she was talking to other guys."
"I think he was blind with rage," said student Christian Delgado. "When I saw him on the floor, he didn't have no reaction. It was just blank. It wasn't him."
Students are also collecting donations for Santana's family to help pay for funeral expenses.
Lopez remains in jail without bail. He has been charged with murder. He is set to be arraigned on Tuesday.
stabbing, south gate, lausd, arrest, los angeles news
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Woman gives $500 to friend who's a single mom
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)