Los Angeles News
2 Ariz. men arrested in random beating in Santa Monica
SANTA MONICA, Calif. (KABC) -- Two men from Arizona have been arrested in connection to the brutal and random attack of a man in Santa Monica in September.
Authorities arrested 24-year-old Brian Scott Hale and 25-year-old Brett Davis and booked them on attempted murder charges.
Police say Hale and Davis, both from Fountain Hills, a town just outside Scottsdale, were in the Los Angeles area doing work for a moving company.
Authorities said the two men were leaving a bar on Santa Monica Boulevard about 2 a.m. on Sept. 22 when they saw and randomly attacked a man who was out exercising.
Police said the victim, a 45-year-old movie producer who was walking with weights, was attacked by Hale and Davis from behind. They said the suspects used the man's weights to beat him.
Authorities said the victim suffered a collapsed skull, several brain bleeds, a broken jaw and neck and back fractures. He is expected to survive but doctors said long term effects from the beating are possible.
Surveillance video taken from a nearby business does not show the attack, but it does show two suspects running away around the time the beating happened.
The Santa Monica Police Department worked with the Maricopa County Sheriff's Department to make the arrests.
They were expected to be extradited to Los Angeles within the next few days and were being held on a bond of $1.03 million.
Anyone with information is urged to call Santa Monica police at (310) 458-8491.
santa monica, los angeles news
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15 3 min ago
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- 287 missing, 9 dead in SKorea ferry disaster
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- 'Luger Bandit' bank robbery suspect caught
- Distracted-driving trial: OC jury deadlocks
- Solvang ordnance scare prompts evacuations 31 min ago
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- Jenny McCarthy engaged to Donnie Wahlberg
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break