Los Angeles News
16-year-old Pasadena native named Rose Queen
PASADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- If 16-year-old Drew Washington couldn't hear her name, the cheering squad from Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy gave it away for the newly crowned 2012 Rose Queen.
"There's two schools that are on the court that start with the name Flintridge, so I kind of was holding my breath," Washington said. "I'm so happy to represent my school and the Pasadena community as well."
Washington is a senior at Sacred Heart and the youngest on the court selected from over 1,000 applicants. Her parents say this is a dream come true.
"I've been taking Drew to the Rose Parade since she was a year old, and we've been collecting all of the pins, and as we would watch the floats go by, I would say, 'Sweetie, maybe one day, you can be on that float,'" said mother Lorie Washington.
Washington has an impressive resume: an honor student and captain of her school's varsity volleyball and track teams.
But her father says this honor takes the cake.
"It literally floored me. I went to my knees," said father Craig Washington. "Her grandmother and grandfather had passed, which are my parents. They are looking at her from above, so proud and smiling so brightly."
The duties are just beginning for Washington and the six other ladies on the court before January's Tournament of Roses Parade.
"She and the royal court will represent the Tournament of Roses and the city of Pasadena at well above 100 events throughout the next two-and-a-half months," said Richard Jackson, president of the Tournament of Roses.
But before things get too busy, Washington and a whole school of screaming girls hope to just relish in the moment.
"Complete adrenaline rush, nervousness, adrenaline, emotions I can't even explain," Washington said.
The Tournament of Roses Parade will be on Monday, Jan. 2, 2012. The grand marshal has not yet been named.
tournament of roses parade, pasadena, los angeles news, subha ravindhran
- Oklahoma tornadoes level homes, kill man
- Deputies gun down armed man during fight
- Loot-seeking vandals trash Palmdale church
- Calif. law takes effect on microstamping guns
- 1 arrested, 2 outstanding after VC pursuit
- Deputies rescue stranded Swedish family
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- Greuel, Garcetti meet with churchgoers 17 min ago
- Machete-wielding man shot by Inglewood police
- abcnews: 1st lady jokes about president's failures
- Beckham in tears as he bids farewell to Paris
- 'Star Trek' tops box office with $70.6M debut
- Swift to perform at Billboard Music Awards
- OTRC: Jennifer Lawrence's accused stalker arrested