Los Angeles News
Machete-wielding man shot by LAPD
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles police officers opened fire on a suspect armed with a machete. He attacked another man inside a food truck, and then smashed the vehicle into two parked cars.
The incident happened on Saturday shortly before 4 a.m. at Beverly Boulevard and Berendo Street in the Westlake District.
Investigators say the victim was eating outside the taco truck when he was attacked by a machete wielding suspect.
The man with the machete then dragged the victim into the food truck. The two employees inside managed to escape before the suspect took off and crashed the truck into several parked cars.
When officers arrived, the suspect exited the truck carrying a bloody machete.
"Officers ordered the individual to drop the machete numerous times," said Lt. Andy Neiman from LAPD. "The suspect was noncompliant. They then deployed a Taser that was also ineffective. As a result an officer-involved shooting occurred."
The suspect was taken to the hospital in critical condition. The stabbing victim is in stable condition.
"The community is lucky the officers got there as fast as they did," said Neiman. "Hopefully we find the motive for this horrific incident."
No officers were injured. The investigation is ongoing.
downtown, officer-involved shooting, lapd, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Malaysian PM: Jet's disappearance deliberate
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Woman, horse rescued at Angeles Nat'l Forest
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Green cars for rent at niche LA-based company 36 min ago
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report