Los Angeles News
LAUSD votes against delay of district-wide early start
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- All students in the Los Angeles Unified School Distirct will have to hit the books a little sooner next school year.
The Board of Education voted against a resolution to postpone the early start calendar district-wide.
That means for the 2012-2013 school year, classes at all LAUSD schools will begin August 14.
People in favor of the early start say it leads to improvements in test scores and gives students a jump on preparing for college. Opponents say research is mixed and that the early start will cost too much money.
lausd, education, los angeles news
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash 2 min ago
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot 1 min ago
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Smoke detectors crucial to avoid fire deaths
- 2 targeted in attempted kidnap, sexual battery
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Pistorius told guard 'everything is fine'
- Ted Turner hospitalized in Argentine capital
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)