Los Angeles News
LAUSD votes against delay of district-wide early start
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- All students in the Los Angeles Unified School Distirct will have to hit the books a little sooner next school year.
The Board of Education voted against a resolution to postpone the early start calendar district-wide.
That means for the 2012-2013 school year, classes at all LAUSD schools will begin August 14.
People in favor of the early start say it leads to improvements in test scores and gives students a jump on preparing for college. Opponents say research is mixed and that the early start will cost too much money.
lausd, education, los angeles news
- James Gandolfini of 'Sopranos' dies at 51
- Hollywood panhandlers allegedly kill LA woman
- OC caregiver arrested for alleged sex assault
- Tip led to ex-USC professor's Mexico arrest
- Fugitive child-abuse couple seen in Maywood
- Wrong-way driver charged with DUI in 14 pile-up
- West Hills murder suspect pleads not guilty
- Man stabbed during carjacking in Oxnard
- TWA Flight 800 documentary hints at cover-up
- Afghan leader suspends talks with Taliban, US
- abcnews: Marine returns from war as underwear model
- Piedmont beef's lower fat entices connoisseurs
- Michael Jackson chef describes confrontation
- OTRC: 'Anchorman 2' new trailer (Video)
- Silicon Beach Fest highlights LA's tech scene
56 min ago