Los Angeles News
LAUSD votes against delay of district-wide early start
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- All students in the Los Angeles Unified School Distirct will have to hit the books a little sooner next school year.
The Board of Education voted against a resolution to postpone the early start calendar district-wide.
That means for the 2012-2013 school year, classes at all LAUSD schools will begin August 14.
People in favor of the early start say it leads to improvements in test scores and gives students a jump on preparing for college. Opponents say research is mixed and that the early start will cost too much money.
lausd, education, los angeles news
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- Secret Service probing Target security breach 56 min ago
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- LA Council speaks on immigration deportations
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds