Los Angeles News
East Coast 'Snowtober' affecting LAX travel
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The unexpected autumn snow storm in the East Coast is creating travel headaches across the U.S. including Los Angeles.
Due to the numerous weather-related cancellations and delays Saturday, there was a high volume of travelers at Los Angeles International Airport Sunday morning.
The airports were packed with stranded passengers as many airlines had to cancel or delay flights to and from the East Coast.
Many passengers found themselves stuck on the runway for several hours as crews had to de-ice planes, and some even had to spend the night in the airport.
"We got on the runway, and we were delayed again for about maybe 45 minutes to an hour, and they had the hoses and they were watering down the wings and we just didn't know if we were going to leave," said Huntington Beach resident Paula Silva.
The surprise storm left more than two million people in the East Coast without power as snow blanketed cities from Maryland to Maine.
Some spots got more than two feet of snow.
Officials said at least three deaths are blamed on the weather.
Utility companies are warning everyone to prepare for potentially lengthy outages. Residents are being urged to avoid travel altogether due to slick road conditions and downed trees and power lines.
The snow is slowly moving on, but travelers are not out of the storm yet. Sunday morning, flights to Washington, D.C. and New York were canceled.
If you are headed to the East Coast, you're urged to check the status of your flight ahead of time.
airport news, los angeles international airport, los angeles news, darsha philips
- Santa Ana jewelry store robbery caught on cam 51 min ago
- Nelson Mandela mourners pay last respects
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year
- Auto thefts up in CA after realignment -study
- Man arrested in 'revenge porn' website case
- FBI arrest several alleged MS-13 gang members
- UC Riverside employee diagnosed w/ meningitis
- LA supervisors criticize Baca amid jail probe
- Bell moving forward after Spaccia conviction
- Budget deal: Liberals, conservatives grumbling 22 min ago
- abcnews: Woman claws way out of locked bathroom
- Paul Walker crash: 2nd theft suspect surrenders 5 min ago
- US Navy sailor surprises family on ABC comedy
- OTRC: Demi Lovato's cocaine, alcohol confessions
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
28 min ago