Los Angeles News
Elderly man killed in unprovoked attack at Lakewood Wal-Mart
LAKEWOOD, Calif. (KABC) -- An elderly man was beaten to death with a baseball bat inside a busy Wal-Mart store in Lakewood on Tuesday.
The 74-year-old victim was shopping alone when he was beaten in a vicious, unprovoked attack.
"It was terrible. I could hear it, but I didn't know he was getting beat up until I went to peek around the corner, and he was laying there in a pool of blood," witness Jennifer Thompson said.
Authorities arrested the 47-year-old suspect outside of the store. Detectives said they don't know what led to the murder.
"It appears it was unprovoked. There does not appear to be any conversation or any exchange of any type of communication," said Lt. Eddie Hernandez of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
The incident happened just before 5 p.m. at the Wal-Mart on Carson Street. Officials said the brutal beating was captured on security cameras.
The suspect grabbed an aluminum bat from the sporting goods section and suddenly went on the attack, investigators said. The victim was hit from behind without any warning.
"It appears that the suspect approaches the victim and uses a baseball bat to start assaulting him, and then once the assault is over, he drops the baseball bat and starts to walk outside the store," said Hernandez.
The victim, whose identity has not been released, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Witnesses described the suspect as homeless and "on edge," but authorities have not confirmed that information. It's unknown if drugs or alcohol was a factor in the murder.
arrest, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Woman gives $500 to friend who's a single mom
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)