Los Angeles News
Lancaster women use fake baby death story in fraud
LANCASTER, Calif. (KABC) -- Three women were arrested after deputies in Lancaster said they were running a scam based on a fake story about a dead child.
Deputies in Lancaster saw the women holding boxes with a picture of a boy, and asking for donations to help pay for his burial expenses. The women were standing on the corner of 17th Street West and Avenue K.
The deputies were pooling their own money to make a donation, when they started asking the women what happened to the boy.
They got suspicious when the women's answers didn't make sense. All three were arrested and booked on grand theft.
Investigators said the women admitted the boy pictured on the box is the 18-month-old nephew of one of the women, and he was alive and healthy.
If you have any information regarding this scam or donated money to the women, you're urged to call the Lancaster sheriff's station at (661) 948-8644.
fraud, antelope valley, arrest, los angeles news
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case 6 min ago
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting 28 min ago
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut 22 min ago
- OTRC: Stacy Keibler weds boyfriend Jared Pobre