Los Angeles News
LA fire captain arrested for trying to buy heroin
HIGHLAND PARK, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A Los Angeles City fire captain was arrested for allegedly trying to buy heroin from undercover police officers.
The Los Angeles Police Department said fire Capt. Matthew Phillipsen, 52, was caught during a sting operation in Highland Park, which is not far from the fire station where he's assigned.
Phillipsen allegedly tried to buy seven balloons of simulated heroin from the undercover officers around noon on Wednesday near Avenue 61 and Figueroa Street.
He was booked on suspicion of intent to possess heroin.
Los Angeles fire officials did not comment on the specifics of the arrest.
They released a statement, saying, "The matter is currently under investigation by the LAPD. The Los Angeles Fire Department's professional standards division has been notified and will be conducting an investigation concurrent with any criminal investigation."
Phillipsen was released after posting $10,000 bail. He is scheduled to appear in court Nov. 18.
arrest, lapd, los angeles city fire department, los angeles news, darsha philips
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash 45 min ago
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- Cat rescued from 91 Fwy divider in Riverside 21 min ago
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Obama to preserve California federal lands 13 min ago
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- New Toyota Highlander carries on legacy
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video