Los Angeles News
LA fire captain arrested for trying to buy heroin
HIGHLAND PARK, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A Los Angeles City fire captain was arrested for allegedly trying to buy heroin from undercover police officers.
The Los Angeles Police Department said fire Capt. Matthew Phillipsen, 52, was caught during a sting operation in Highland Park, which is not far from the fire station where he's assigned.
Phillipsen allegedly tried to buy seven balloons of simulated heroin from the undercover officers around noon on Wednesday near Avenue 61 and Figueroa Street.
He was booked on suspicion of intent to possess heroin.
Los Angeles fire officials did not comment on the specifics of the arrest.
They released a statement, saying, "The matter is currently under investigation by the LAPD. The Los Angeles Fire Department's professional standards division has been notified and will be conducting an investigation concurrent with any criminal investigation."
Phillipsen was released after posting $10,000 bail. He is scheduled to appear in court Nov. 18.
arrest, lapd, los angeles city fire department, los angeles news, darsha philips
- Injured LAPD officer released from hospital 4 min ago
- LA Marathon: Ethiopian runners sweep race
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- Los Angeles Marathon 2014 street closures
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- William Clay Ford, Lions owner, dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video